st: Developing a Research Dataset

From   Rob James <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Developing a Research Dataset
Date   Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:09:35 -0800

I work in a research group that is about to build a multiyear data
structure to support research.  Historically, data management strategies
have resulted in multiple derivative versions of key variables and
concepts  - for example, imagine a continuous variable that is then
variously categorized, variously trimmed, etc..  A whole cluster of
derived variables results, but the underlying do files are not uniformly
preserved.  This undermines the integrity of the resulting derivative
datasets.  I think this is a pretty typical story.

Clearly we are not alone in this challenge. In SAS I might generate a
root set of variables, and then do my trims and recoding through a
variety of format statements which I could electively  attach to the
core variables. However, that concept doesn't quite fit STATA.
Therefore, I'd invite suggestions on how you are managing this sort of
data integrity/documentation problem within STATA environments.

Thanks,

Rob