st: AW: Axis break

Subject   st: AW: Axis break
Date   Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:30:55 +0100

<>

How about rendering the axis in log scale (-xscale(log)-)?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Alex Olssen
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010 22:06
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Axis break

Hi everyone,

I have a scatterplot with a couple of outliers.  The effect of these
outliers is to compress the vast majority of observations into the bottom
third of the graph space making it hard to see what is going on with the
observations.  Rather than dropping the outliers and ignoring them
altogether I would like to put a line break through the axis.  This would
allow the majority of the observations to fill most of the graph space but
still highlight to the reader the fact that the outliers exist.

I had a look on the Statalist archives but only found a related article
during Stata 8.  At that time it appeared that axis breaks were not a
feature of Stata.  Does anyone know if they now are?  If so what code should
I use?  If not does anyone have any suggestions.

I have also looked through "A visual guide to Stata graphics" to no avail.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex Olssen
Intern
Motu Economic & Public Policy Research
Ph 939 4250  Fax 939 4251
This email contains information which is confidential and may be subject to
legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not peruse,
use, disseminate, distribute or copy this email or attachments. If you have
received this in error, please notify us immediately by return email,
facsimile or telephone and delete this email. Thank you