Re: st: Re: program to generate variable list as input for other program

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: program to generate variable list as input for other program
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:25:30 +0100

##

does that mean that -ds- is in that definition superseded by a more
recent, better command and if that is the case, what is it?

Klaus

Nick Cox schrieb:
> As others have pointed out, this text does not quite apply to -ds-. I
> suspect that StataCorp need to fix this text: that is the easiest
> solution! Something like
>
> Previously documented commands are commands of Stata from a previous
> release that are no longer documented because they have been superseded
> by more recent, better commands or are for various reasons now
> considered of secondary importance.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Airey, David C
>
>> The program -sender- can be replaced by the line -ds, has(type
> numeric)-,
>> see: -help ds-.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Maarten
>
> In the help file it says -ds- has been dropped as official Stata as of
> version 9, although it still works and has a man page that will not be
> updated. It is officially "undocumented". When I read about that kind of
> Stata command, I see:
>
> "Previously documented commands are commands of Stata from a previous
> release that are no longer documented because they have been superseded
> by more recent, better commands.  The commands continue to work,
> although
> sometimes only under version control.  The help files for the commands
> listed below are still available online to assist in understanding old
> do-files and ado-files."
>
> But in the documentation for -ds- I am not pointed to the replacement
> command, but a list of commands that might cover the lost function. What
> is the improved replacement for -ds, has(type numeric)-?

Klaus Pforr
MZES AB - A
Universität Mannheim
D - 68131 Mannheim