Re: st: Set memory problems - reply from Stata Tech support

From   "Karen Wright" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Set memory problems - reply from Stata Tech support
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:28:16 +0000

Of course!!!  but as I am unfortunately not too brilliant with the techinical side of things I did not understand how much of the hard-drive memory available could/could not be allocated to RAM.  I thought that technical support would be more informed as to how much of it is appliable.  I'm afraid I took the easy way out of asking someone who did understand and could decipher, rather than learning about the insides of my computer!!  Unfortunately i may have to take time to do this in the future though!  I found the Stata reply very helpful and informative and thought that I should share it incase people like me (who do not understnad the intricacies of how computers memory works!) were wondering why they could not increase -set mem-.

>>> Neil Shephard <[email protected]> 12/01/2010 12:20 >>>
You didn't mention in your post that the 140Gb was hard-drive as
opposed to RAM, I would find it terribly painful to use 140Gb of HD
for pagefile/swap!!

You'd be waiting years for anything to complete!

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.