Re: st: RE: convergence problem

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: convergence problem
Date   Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:15:28 +0000 (GMT)

Such non-convergence in these models is often a sign that the
effect of your continuous variable is not linear in the log(risk).
One solution is to allow that variable to have a non-linear effect.
I like (linear) splines for that, as you can still easily interpret
the coefficients. So in the example below for the model that
converges: the basline risk of union membership for someone from
the north with 0 wage is

*--------- begin example ------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
gen baseline = 1