Re: st: Mlogit with random effects

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mlogit with random effects
Date   Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:34:12 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 7/1/10, Kate Perper wrote:
> I am working with a dataset in which approximately 15% of
> my cases contribute two data points (the rest contribute only
> one).  I believe I need to control for random effects here (but please
> correct me if I'm wrong) but I cannot figure out how to do this within
> the context of the mlogit command (I have a 4-level categorical
> dependent variable).

You can't do that with -mlogit-, but Haan and Uhlendorff (2006) discuss
how you can do that in Stata. It is not easy, but they give step by
step instructions.

Haan, Peter and Uhlendorff, Arne (2006) Estimation of multinomial logit
models with unobserved heterogeneity using maximum simulated likelihood.
The Stata Journal, 6(2): 229--245.
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0104

Hope this helps,
Maarten