st: RE: Importing variable (not value) labels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Importing variable (not value) labels
Date   Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:05:38 -0000

Yes, if you do it interactively, e.g. within the Data Editor, in which
case -lab var- is still implicit. But I don't think that's what you're
seeking, as that would be more work, not less.

Otherwise no. But you should be able to make it easier by a global edit
of a text file containing the information in a decent text editor to
produce a .do file.

Dorothy Bridges

I need to label dozens of variables.  Is there a way to do this
without using the "lab var" command for each one?  I have the variable
names and labels in an excel (or .dta) file.