st: RE: RE: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file
Date   Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:47:00 -0000

bysort school : keep if _n == 1

does what you ask.

Russel Wildeman

Thank you Martin

The data look like this

School Student Classize female
1	1		35	1
1	2		35	0
1	3		35	1
1	4		35	1
2	1		23	0
2	2		23	1
2	3		23	1
3	1		39	0
3	2		39	1

What I would like is for one of the school-level variables (classize) to
have only one observation per school. Hope I am a bit clearer.

Martin Weiss

Could be a case for -reshape- or -collapse-. For further help, you
should
post a meaningful excerpt of your data.

*From:* Russel Wildeman [mailto:[email protected]]

I have education survey data where the data are ordered by school and
student and more pertinently the variable "school." The data are ordered

by the variable "school" and would give 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 etc. I have
created appropriate school-level variables but the problem is that the
values of the school-level variables are repeated for the same school,
whereas I want only one record per school for some of the school-level
variables. I tried various merging file schemes but none work. Any help
is highly appreciated