RE: st: RE: RE: RE: highly skewed, highly zeroed data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: highly skewed, highly zeroed data
Date   Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:06:24 -0000

Agreed. No one in the thread that I can recall focused on the -svy-
aspect that the original poster did flag.

He did return but did not address most of the comments made. Meanwhile,
the others in the thread continue to discuss intermittently using the
information we do have.

Austin Nichols

Nick et al.--
The sample median might not necessarily be zero once sample weights
are taken account of--for example if zeros tend to have very low
relative weight and nonzero cases have relatively high weights--since
we are not given weights, we cannot be sure.  Depending on the
weights, the data might look a lot less or a lot more skewed than the
unweighted tab seems to imply!  But examples or simulations (to
explore coverage and small-sample bias) should include weights and
clusters if possible, whether estimating the overall mean or the
proportion nonzero and mean or median of nonzero cases, as in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-11/msg01354.html