[no subject]

a) a .doc file named something like whatever.rdf.doc, or
b) a .rtf file named something like whatever.rdf.rtf, or
c) a .txt file named something like whatever.rdf.txt

and in the WIndows world competencies often do not seem to extend to
users being able to recognize these filenames (the extensions are
usually hidden) or, worse yet, rename them appropriately (I had a
phonecon with a "Microsoft Certified Support Engineer" who did not
understand how to use DOS commands to do so). Every week we run into
these problems, and when we tell them to "use a text editor to create
text files" they have no idea what we mean.

So what I fear will emerge from a "Word template" approach is something
other than a plain text ASCII file named whatever.sthlp. Any solution of
this nature MUST generate such files as part of its remit to be anything
other than a waste of time. I think it would be easy to write something
that did that in perl, php, python, or Mata (using Stata's dialog
boxes), but I do not see MS Word contributing anything but confusion to
the process.

Also keep in mind that Word macros and VBA are (a) generally regarded as
security risks and (b) not available in all current versions of MS
Office, so the notion that all of this can be motorized through Visual
Basic is not a solution for all Stata users.