Re: st: graphics complaints

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: graphics complaints
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:21:29 +0000

On 18 Samh 2009, at 20:57, Airey, David C wrote:

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. scatter weight length, ms(oh) // small o

This is peculiar. On my system (OSX 10.5) with Stata 11, the graph shows distinctly oval plot symbols, but when I resize the graph they become more regular, without ever becoming proper circles. You can see clearly what is happening. Resize the graph by dragging the corner of the window. Stata waits until you release the drag before redrawing the graph, so you can examine a the original graph - it's clearly distorted. (You can also enable zooming using control-scroll-up and control-scroll-down, which is useful for teaching).

never renders well on my system, and copying the graph preserves the oblong symbols

Have you tried resizing and copying? The results are better, but still not right.

. scatter weight length, ms(Oh) // large O

doesn't show the complaint

I sent you off list the horrible rendering of a graph twoway function (y=x). Looked like someone shocked it with electricity.

It's awful, but the examples you give above show the essentials of the problem. I'd say it's over to tech support at Stata to figure out what is going wrong.

Ronan Conroy

[email protected]
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment