Re: st: random effects with clustered s.e.

Subject   Re: st: random effects with clustered s.e.
Date   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:15:52 -0500

Shuaizhang Feng <[email protected]>:
Perhaps you mean to compare to -xtreg,fe-.  In any case, suppose you
use the the GLS random-effects estimator to get coef estimates.  Now
you want the SEs, and you can use the conventional or a cluster-robust
version.  If you have large numbers of both clusters and obs per
cluster, it probably makes sense to always use the cluster-robust
estimator, but with smaller numbers you might well prefer another
option (perhaps the conventional SEs, perhaps not RE).  A simulation
starting with your data is probably the best way for you to answer
this to your own satisfaction.