Re: st: ST: creating new variables from a long list

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ST: creating new variables from a long list
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:19:28 -0400

Sounds like a job for -merge-; basically,
make 92 files again and put them back together
correctly - something like this:

 levelsof datasetnum, local(dsn)
 local first : word 1 of `dsn'
 foreach D in `dsn' {
	keep if datasetnum==`D'
	ren rank rank`D'
	ren total total`D'
	sort SMSAname
	save tmp`D'
 }
 local dsn : list dsn-first
 u tmp`first'
 foreach D in `dsn' {
	sort SMSAname
	merge 1:1 SMSAname using tmp`D'
	drop _merge
	erase tmp`D'.dta
 }

Assuming files tmp* don't exist.

hth,
Jeph

Eric Uslaner wrote:
Greetings,

I have a data set of 92 sets of crime rankings by SMSA.  But whoever
put them together made a mess out of them (originally in Excel, but I
have them in Stata).  The data set consists of about 230 SMSAs
(standard metropolitan statistical areas) and their crime totals and
ranks in 4 columns: data set number, SMSA name, total, rank--92 times
(one for each data set number) so I have about 30,000+ entries.

What I want to do is to create 92 * 2 variables so that the data set
would look like this:

SMSAname total1 rank1 total2 rank2...total92 rank92

ideally using SMSAname only once rather than 92 times.  Any
suggestions as to how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Ric

* *   For searches and help try: *
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search *