Re: st: re: Efficient, foolproof calculation of matrix quadratic form with

Subject   Re: st: re: Efficient, foolproof calculation of matrix quadratic form with
Date   Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:30:08 -0500

My understanding (although I've never had a chance to really implement
this feature in my code) is that you would need to use Mata's panel*
suite, see -help mf_panelsetup-. That's called -panel- because it was
used to work with panel data, but StataCorp could just as well call it
Explicit_Kronecker* or Block_Structure*. -panel- is shorter though
:)).

Matrix operations are indeed performed at a very low level of LAPACK
routines and BLAS (co-)processor instructions. While nothing is
guaranteed, I think the average figures are that Stata ado is 3 times
slower than Mata which is 3 times slower than C code which is 10 or so
times slower than BLAS if the C code is written from scratch without
linear algebra enhancements. In case of Stata, of course, everything
is as performance optimized as possible, as the timings of my
simulations convinced me (I have a little section in my forthcoming SJ
9(3) article). Yet with sparse matrices, you might end up wasting more
time allocating memory and swapping megabytes of zeros through the
processor cache, so the smaller matrix chunks that could fit the cache
might get processed faster.