Re: st: Correlation of Dummy and Metric Variables?

Subject   Re: st: Correlation of Dummy and Metric Variables?
Date   Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:20:37 -0500

In psychometrics, there are concepts of polychoric and polyserial
correlations. The first one is between two ordinal variables, and the
second one is between an ordinal variable and a continuous variable.
If your variables are truly nominal (like gender or geography), then
the correlations are likely meaningless, although you can meaningfully
ask whether the distributions of the continuous variables differ
between the values of the discrete variable (answered by ANOVA,
Kruskal-Wallis test and such). I wrote -polychoric- package some while
ago that computes these correlations.