Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: finite mixture models with the EM algorithm
Date   Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:59:16 -0400

Thanks very much, Stas!

I just heard today in lecture from Guido Imbens that EM might solve
the problem when the likelihood is multimodal, as in the case of
mixtures. Can we reasonably expect Stata's ML procedure to solve this
problem anyway?

With -fmm-, convergence seemed to be really tricky for me. I had to
dig deep and enable -ml search- and set a large number of repetitions
for it. Plus I have the difficult option enabled. Even then, sometimes
I get no convergence just telling me that the likelihood is concave,
or some of the models converged to a case with basically only one
component present out of the possible two -- which is not impossible,
but unlikely in my case.

Thanks again,

Laszlo