Re: st: Using stratified samples in STATA / giving weights

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using stratified samples in STATA / giving weights
Date   Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:00:39 -0400

Thomas, the weights computed in your way are proportional to the
standard weights.  However the standard computation is more
informative--it shows many people represented by each sample member
(in many instances, the weights differ from person-to-person, not just
from stratum to stratum). The hallmark of standard weights is that, if
summed over the sample, they estimate the population size. The
standard weights do that.  Also, weights are often computed when the
population N's are not known. Your  version requires that the N's be
known in advance.

To use survey weights in Stata, you will have to use the -svyset-
command, so study that also.  The documentation will tell you which
weight you should designate.

-Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]