st: R: How to avoid uncontrolled confounding in Cox regression analysis

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: How to avoid uncontrolled confounding in Cox regression analysis
Date   Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:46:37 +0200

Roland Andersson wrote:

<..., as there is probably violation of
proportional hazard due to the difference in age.>

Violation of proportional hazard assumption can be easily detected via
Schoenfeld residuals (please, type - help stcox - in Stata 9/2 SE).

<I wonder if a stratified analysis would be better (with appropriate
age-intervals as strata)...>

In my opinion, a stratified analysis by age would be fine if, accordingly to
the e xistent epidemiological literature on this topic (that, unfortunately,
I do not know)differently aged people experience different hazard functions.

Two other comments come to my mind thinking over your research endeavour:

- provided that it is consistent with the existing epidemiological
literature and with the clinical evidence, wouldn't it be wise to include a
squared age terms in the RHS of Cox regression to detect any turning point
of the failure process?
- would it be interesting to consider categorical variable to tag the
different clinical subtypes of appendicitis?

Kind Regards,
Carlo