Re: st: multiple Stata jobs on Windows

Subject   Re: st: multiple Stata jobs on Windows
Date   Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:51:55 -0400

Hello Bulent,

Stata will detect other instances running by looking into the
tempfolder and checking the files there. Each subsequent instance will
have its tempfiles carry the instance ID in the name:

E.g. in the first Stata launched:

. tempfile f
. di `"`f'"'
R:\TEMP\ST_01000001.tmp

In the second Stata launched:
. tempfile f
. di "`f'"
R:\TEMP\ST_02000001.tmp

and so on. So they will not conflict with each other. For safety, give
about 1 second delay before running each Stata.
Using many Stata instances in parallel is a good way to exploit
multiple CPUs if you have a single CPU license.
I hope this does not go against any conditions of use set fourth by
StataCorp, otherwise they could have disabled
multiple instances. For example, it is a very convenient way to run
simulations, bootstrap and other similar tasks,
where iterations are independent from each other.

If you have 8 CPUs and enough memory - run 8 copies. If you have 8
CPUs and Stata MP-2 (2CPU) try 5-6 copies.
Practice will show. In many cases however memory becomes the
bottle-neck and you end up running just 1 or 2 Statas.

For a very detailed information on Stata instances and tempfiles from
Bill Gould, follow this link:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-08/msg01124.html

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin