st: -svyset-, weights, and NLSY

From   Mike Lacy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -svyset-, weights, and NLSY
Date   Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:51:30 -0600

Greetings,

I'm working with the NLSY (National Longitudinal Study of Youth http://www.bls.gov/nls/nlsy79.htm) and trying to make appropriate allowances for the complex survey design, taking into account both weighting and the sample design structure.

To make a long story short, the documentation on this is pretty terse, and practices in the literature are a bit dicey (e.g., using weights but ignoring sample structure or design effects; ignoring weighting and sample structure completely). I'm discovering that it's a pretty good piece of work to figure out what to do from the sample design documentation, so I'm taking a stab here hoping someone in the Stata community might have have worked with the NLSY and --svyset- and be willing to share some code. I suppose this might be of sufficiently limited interest that a response off list might make more sense.

Regards,

Mike Lacy, Assoc. Prof.
Soc. Dept., Colo. State. Univ.
Fort Collins CO 80523 USA