Re: "Official", "documented", and so forth [was: RE: st: AW: listing variables with certain characteristics]

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: "Official", "documented", and so forth [was: RE: st: AW: listing variables with certain characteristics]
Date   Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:50:55 -0400

Nick,

Thanks for the thorough if unofficial documentation
if the nature of "official".

Re the below: I opted for 1 because while -ds- will find
variables that have a certain characteristic assigned to
them, I still have to do some checking to determine the
value of the characteristic - that is, I wanted a wrapper
for -ds-, but figured why stop there if I was going to be
invoking a program to do the job anyway. Also, the
programming was fun. Once I figure out all the useful
options to add, I'll share.

cheers,
Jeph

Nick Cox wrote:

Generalities aside, Jeph's specific problem remains.
1. He could write a specific program that just checks for
characteristics. That would be a little more efficient than -ds- can be
because it would spend no time checking for other requests. I can't see
why he needs to do this during Stata 11 unless the programming is
otherwise fun.