st: extracting month and year from a date variable

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: extracting month and year from a date variable
Date   Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:36:37 -0700

Hi Fellow Stata Listservers,

I am trying to generate a variable that contains only the month and year,
extracted from another complete date variable. The ultimate intent is to
aggregate a given outcome by the month/year.

So for example, the original date value is 17374, which is displayed as
07/27/2007. I would like to generate a variable that is "Jul 2007" or
"07_2007" (I am not picky on the style, this is just to allow me to
aggregrate by this variable).

I get the feeling that I will have to convert this to a string and then
generate the variable with a substr statement, but I hope there is an easier
way.

Thanks in advance

Ariel