Re: st: Recode non-integers to positive integers

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Recode non-integers to positive integers
Date   Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:01:02 +0100

Well, in your case (non-negative values) it is easy. Simply subtract 1
from the -group-ed variable:
*******************
sysuse auto, clear
tab mpg
recode mpg (18=0) // change 18 to 0
egen new = group(mpg)
replace new = new - 1
tab new
*******************

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Frank Gallo<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So the syntax "egen newvar = group(oldvar)" achieves my goal for one
> variable. But for another variable, I have "0" values that I want to keep
> and do not include in the grouping. I tried adding the if qualifier [egen
> newvar = group(oldvar) if oldvar > 0] but this transformed the 0s to
> missing. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Frank
>

> On Aug 22, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Frank Gallo wrote:
>
> Hi Mike & Jon,
>
> Thank you for your time and input. I solved my problem with the following
> syntax: egen newvar = group(oldvar). This syntax produced a new variable,
> which grouped similar values and ordered them from lowest (1) to highest
> (28). I used the tabulate command to check the recoding, which was correct.
> I apologize if I were not clearer with my original post: I am a beginner
> with Stata. Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Frank
>
> On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Mike Wazowski wrote:
>
> here's a step-by-step code you could modify, assume x is your original
> variable....
>
> clear
> set obs 500
> set seed 123
> gen x = round(10*runiform()+10,.5)
> gen x2 = -x
> sort x2
> by x2: gen rank=1 if _n==_N
> drop x2
> sort x
> replace rank = sum(rank)
>
> mike

To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)
belongs to Flg(κ) (where v is the free variable of r).