st: StataMP will not utilize multiple processors (Windows XP)

From   "Cohen, Elan" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: StataMP will not utilize multiple processors (Windows XP)
Date   Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:36:10 -0400

Hi all,

I'm running StataMP on a Windows server running XP.  The computer has a Quad core processor, so 8 processors show up in the task manager (due to hyper threading, I believe).

However, if I run a command, such as bootstrap, Stata will only allocate 1 processor to do the job.

Here's an example that I tried:

set obs 100000
gen x1 = uniform()
gen x2 = uniform()
gen x3 = x1^2
gen x4 = x2^2
gen y = 3+4*x1+5*x2 + invnorm(uniform())
regres y x?
bootstrap _b[x1], reps(1000): regress y x?

The real model I'm trying to run is with -xtmelogit- that takes hours to run while only using 1 processor.

Also, the output from -creturn list-

. creturn list
          c(born_date) = "02 Feb 2009"
              c(flavor) = "IC"
                  c(SE) = 1
                  c(MP) = 1
          c(processors) = 8                          (Stata/MP, set processors)
      c(processors_lic) = 8
     c(processors_mach) = 8
      c(processors_max) = 8
                c(mode) = ""
             c(console) = ""

Is there something specific I need to do to get Stata to use more processors?  Thanks for your help.

- Elan