Re: st: SPSS and IBM

To   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SPSS and IBM
Date   Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:44:25 -0500

At 10:25 PM 7/29/2009, Alan Acock wrote:
This morning in The Financial Times I read a short article saying that
IBM just bought SPSS for $1.2 Billion dollars. It said they were
interested in it for Predictive Analytics--a long way from the roots
of SPSS as the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. This
development seems consistent with the recent name change in SPSS. It
will be interesting to see where the package goes in terms of the
statistical applications it offers.

Alan Acock

I hope this doesn't mean that Microsoft will soon be making a $10 billion dollar takeover bid for Statacorp. I'm sure Bill Gould and his partners would fight any such effort to the death though. :)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam