st: SPSS and IBM

From   Alan Acock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: SPSS and IBM
Date   Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:25:27 -0700

This morning in The Financial Times I read a short article saying that IBM just bought SPSS for $1.2 Billion dollars. It said they were interested in it for Predictive Analytics--a long way from the roots of SPSS as the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences. This development seems consistent with the recent name change in SPSS. It will be interesting to see where the package goes in terms of the statistical applications it offers.

Alan Acock