Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:08:42 +0200

I missed this thread, but I would like to give you my belated opinion.
Now I can tell you are right, Stata seems a far more superior statistical software that SPSS. *But* it depends on what you do.
I started as a SPSS user (version 13). It was not dependent on me (I am not a statistician, rather a researcher in innovation management), but on the software used by colleagues from which I could get some statistical advice. When I needed to do regressions with panel data, I moved to Stata (version 9). But on rare occasions I *go back* to SPSS. I think that the latter has a multivariate section which is at least as good as, and sometimes better than Stata. I am talking about (multiple) correspondence analysis, multidimensional scaling, post-hoc tests (e.g. Sidak, Scheffe, Ducan, S-N-K, etc...) and measures of associations (e.g. Phi, Cramér's V, eta, Cochran's and Mantel-Haenszel statistics, etc...).

Nicola

P.S. I'll NOT receive/read any email but the Digest.