st: Stata 11

Subject   st: Stata 11
Date   Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:40:50 -0400

Hi All!

Just a couple of things after the first look at the long expected
Stata 11 today:

1) In the "Variables manager" both <Manage...> buttons do not work in
the unpinned mode of "Variable Properties" (nothing happens). Click
the pin to fix the window and they work again.
2) In the "Data Browser" (for sysuse auto), I would expect "Filter by
expression" condition t<20 to work, but Stata responds: ""Filter by
expression:" is invalid". Condition trunk<20 works fine. Seems like
here Stata can't unabbreviate variable names like it does everywhere
else.
3) I would expect filter in "Variables manager" to support wildcards *
and ? like anywhere else. E.g.  (using another dataset)

des t?t*
              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
totmiemc        byte   %8.0g                  miembros por hogar (consumo)
tot_gast_ed     float  %9.0g                  Annual Education Expenditures

same filter in "Variables manager" results nothing

Also re: "Variables Manager", I wish the same colors as in "Data
browser" were used in "Variables Manager" and Variables window to
highlight string and numeric variables.

4) Not a bug, but an unexpected change of the executable name: from
wmpstata.exe to StataMP-64.exe. Have to check all the external
programs where Stata executable names (all flavours) were hardcoded.
5) Also very alerted by inability to set mem when matrices are in
memory. I'd prefer a more graduate transition, e.g. to have a separate
memory area for matrices (set matmem=50mb and that will be enough for
most of my matrices needs).

Otherwise a very nice release of Stata 11.0.669 MP8 64-bit for
Windows. Thank you.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin