Re: st: Dealing with survey data when the entire population is also in the dataset

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dealing with survey data when the entire population is also in the dataset
Date   Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:25:38 -0400

I guess Margo's real question is: If my null hypothesis is that there is no difference between a *sample* and a *population* with respect to the distributions of two or more *categorical* variables, what is the most appropriate way to test that hypothesis?

Austin proposed Hotelling's t-square, which is a global test of equality of *means* for independent *samples*. This takes care of the multiple comparisons problem, but doesn't fit Margo's needs because of level of measurement (except, possibly, if the categorical variables are dichotomous or ordinal and can be arguably treated as continuous-ish) and because it is a two-sample test instead of a single-sample test.

Margo's problem is the same (I think) as the problem of comparing the characteristics of a realized survey sample against the known characteristics of the sampling frame to detect bias. This is a common-enough procedure, and frequently done using chi-square tests without adjustment (correctly or not) for multiple comparisons. These are typically done as chi-square tests of independence, but since the characteristics of the sampling frame are *not* sample data, they should really be goodness of fit tests. (Right?)

I don't claim to be a real statistician, and I don't claim to have a real answer, but I think that results from multiple chi-square tests, interpreted jointly (so that, e.g., a single significant result with a relatively large p-value would not be considered strong evidence of difference), would be convincing enough for most audiences.

By the way, for clarification, here what I was suggesting with respect to sampling and recombining the sample and population data:

-----
sysuse auto,clear
sample 50 if (foreign == 0)
sample 75 if (foreign == 1)
replace wt = 1/.75 if (foreign == 1)
replace wt = 1/.5 if (foreign == 0)
gen sample = 1
gen stratum = foreign
tempfile sample
save `sample'
sysuse auto,clear
append using `sample'
replace wt = 1 if missing(sample)
replace stratum = 2 if missing(sample)
replace sample = 0 if missing(sample)
svyset [pw=wt], strata(stratum)
----

Austin Nichols wrote:
Margo Schlanger<[email protected]> :
I think Michael I. Lichter means for you to -append- your sample and
population in step 2 below.  Then you can run -hotelling- or the
equivalent linear discriminant model (with robust SEs) to compare
means for a bunch of variables observed in both.  I.e.
.  reg sample x* [pw=wt]
in step 2b, not tabulate, with or without svy: and chi2.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Michael I.