Re: st: DHS sampling weight command

Subject   Re: st: DHS sampling weight command
Date   Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:52:38 -0500

Nikh, this is not terribly informative -- give the labels of the
variables. (As the FAQ of the list says, don't assume that everybody
knows your data and your literature as well as you do.) You may not
like the idea of having weights like 10,000 if you are used to think
about the weight variable as something close to 1, or maybe something
close to 1/n. But if you want to estimate the total number of people
in the country that don't have access to clean water, those 10,000
weights are the right ones to use: the weight of 1 is going to give
you the total number of people in the sample that don't have access to
clean water, and you cannot put that sort of stuff into your country
report. Check DHS documentation again on the survey settings.

To my knowledge, stratification does not change in DHS from year to
year, so you can keep strata ID from other years if you can match the
clustdrs. If you have any new PSUs, it may not be possible to
determine where they are coming from though; you could create a
separate stratum for all of them. Finally, you can ignore
stratification whatsoever, and lose some precision/efficiency with
that.