Re: st: Customizing the -s2mono- scheme in Stata 9.2?

From   "Hiroshi Maeda" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Customizing the -s2mono- scheme in Stata 9.2?
Date   Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:19:04 -0500

Dear Svend,

Thank you for your advice. I've followed your advice and am happy to
report that it's solved 90% of my problem. Now the background of a graph,
when printed, is light gray as intended. So thank you.

However, the grid lines still appear to be rather faint even when I
specify -color grid gs2-, instead of -color grid gs10- as you suggest (I
actually tried gs10, gs8, gs6, and gs2, but each time the grid lines were
faint gray). Furthermore the grid lines appear to be thinner than the
original -s2mono- intends them to be...

I would be grateful if you could advise me on how to modify the width of
grid lines (and darken their color as well) in the -mys2mono- scheme file.

As to your question about a new printer: Yes, I have purchased a new
printer. I used Stata 9.2 (32-bit) on Windows XP (32-bit) with HP LaserJet
1012 until a few weeks ago. There was no problem with Stata graphics under
this old system. When my XP machine died, I was forced to upgrade
everything--I now use Stata 9.2 (64-bit) on Windows Vista (64-bit) with HP
LaserJet P1006. Now I am struggling with Stata graphics problems.

Thank you.

Hiroshi

Hiroshi wrote:

I am wondering if it is possible to edit/customize the default settings of
the -s2mono- scheme that comes with Stata 9.2.

Is there any way to edit/customize -s2mono- itself so that it incorporates
my gray scale preference (gs14) for the background and grid lines? I would
then like to name the thus edited -s2mono- something like
-s2mono_modified- and -set scheme s2mono_modified, perm-. (I know I could
specify gray scale options each time I draw a graph, but I have drawn
hundreds of graphs and will draw even more in the future. So, that
solution is not practical.)

Yes, you can. This scheme file (with the name scheme-mys2mono.scheme)
modifies the s2mono scheme.

     * scheme-mys2mono.scheme
     #include s2mono
     color background gs14
     color grid gs10

Save the scheme file in C:\ado\personal, and:

     set scheme mys2mono , permanently

You may want to experiment to get the preferred color of background and
gridlines. BTW, I doubt that your experiences are related to Windows XP
vs. Windows Vista. Did you get another printer as well? Printers (and
toner) differ.

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul
(School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology)
Bartholins Allé 2
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark
Phone:   +45 8693 7796
Mobile:  +45 2634 7796