Re: st: gllamm with pweights

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: gllamm with pweights
Date   Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:10:30 -0400

No, I mean make "state," not "urstate", your level 3 unit (with weight
1).  The "census tracts" within state should be classified as urban
and rural.  States are natural units; census tracts are natural units;
the "urstates"  agglomerations of census tracts are artificial. I
cannot see a justification for designating them as level 3 units.

 With state as a random effect you can estimate a between-state
standard deviation.  You can also estimate the extent to which
urban/rural differences vary across states if you add a random
state/urban-rural term to your model.

Steve