Re: st: AW: -graph combine- question

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: -graph combine- question
Date   Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:44:09 -0400

One less-than-ideal approach I often use is to use the "fill" suboption when suppressing the axis on the plot. This creates extra space between the plots, which can only partly be dealt with through -imargin-, but at least they are even:

. gr twoway scatter mpg price, xscale(off fill) name(g1)
. gr twoway scatter mpg price, xscale(off fill) name(g2)
. gr twoway scatter mpg price, name(g3)

. gr combine g1 g2 g3, col(1) imargin(0 0 -4 -4)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Jeph Herrin
Gesendet: Freitag, 17. Juli 2009 19:36
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: -graph combine- question

I am using Stata 10.1.

I am trying to stack up several graphs that have identical
layouts, with a shared x-axis. Thus, I would like to have the
x-axis only appear at the bottom of the bottom graph.

Therefore, I suppress the x-axis on all but the last graph,
gN.gph, and then use:

   graph combine g1.gph ... gN.gph, col(1) xcommon imargin(0 0 0 0)

This works fine except that the bottom graph is compressed relative
to the other graphs - because of the additional axis.

I have fiddled with the aspect ratio of the bottom graph to try to
get the final combined graph to look the same as the others, but
cannot get a good fit.  Is there a better way to do this? At the
least, I need a formula for how much height the axis labels add
to my graph, so I can expand accordingly. Any ideas?

thanks,
Jeph

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904