st: RE: testing for mediation

From   "Visintainer PhD, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: testing for mediation
Date   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:19:43 -0400

If you're looking for an evaluation of mediation, check out -sgmediation- by Phil Ender, (e.g., findit sgmediation).  This command computes the Sobel-Goodman mediation test.

-p

___________________________________
Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
Baystate Medical Center

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: testing for mediation

Dear Statalist members,
I would be grateful for any assistance from anyone on proper use of SUEST
command to test for mediation of the effect of one predictor on a dependent
variable from another predictor. To be clear, I wish to test for mediation,
not effect modification. I think x1 is a cause of y and x2 is also a cause
of y. I also know that x1 is a cause of x2. By Barony and Kenney's rules
of mediation, one of the necessary criteria to say that x2 mediates the
effect of x1 on y is that the parameter estimate for x1 changes
significantly when x2 is added to the regression. The data I have used is
all from the same study sample.

Here is the code I have used;
*	logit y x1 x2 x3
*	estimates store A
*	logit y x2 x3
*	estimates store B
*	suest A B
*	testnl [A]x1=[B]x2

When I do this, the 95% confidence intervals of the parameter estimates for
x1 when x2 is or is not included overlap considerably;
0.23 (95% C.I. 0.01 to 0.46) when x2 is included, and
0.33 (95% C.I. 0.11 to 0.54) when x2 is not included as a predictor.

And yet the chi-square and p-value for the test, respectively, are 6.37 and
0.012. How can this test be significant when the confidence intervals
overlap so much? Any ideas how I am misusing this test?

I would appreciate any guidance or help anyone can give me.

John Schousboe MD, PhD

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender immediately or by telephone at (413) 794-0000 and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments. For further information regarding Baystate Health's privacy policy, please visit our Internet web site at http://www.baystatehealth.com.