Re: st: testing for mediation

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: testing for mediation
Date   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:12:59 +0000 (GMT)

--- John Schousboe wrote
> I am still stuck because the predictor for which I wish to decompose
> total effects into direct and indirect is not categorical, but rather
> is a continuous normally distributed variable (as is the postulated
> mediating variable). If I have understood the ldecomp approach
> correctly, it works only when the predictor of interest is
> categorical. Do you have any suggestions?

One possibility is to  frame the indirect effect / mediation problem as
an Blinder Oaxaca decomposition problem and use the tools discussed in
Mathias Sinning, Markus Hahn, Thomas K. Bauer (2008) "The Blinder–Oaxaca
decomposition for nonlinear regression models" The Stata Journal, 8(4):480-492.
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0152

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis