st: RE: AW: RE: Average for panel data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: RE: Average for panel data
Date   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:56:21 +0100

It does no harm and it may be crucial to spell out that within each
panel observations are to be time-sorted.

Thus

bys id (Year):

is safer than

bys id:

Martin Weiss

My solution does extend to the panel case in exactly the fashion which
you
describe. Am I missing something else in your request?

********
clear*

input  id	Year	V1	 V2	V3
1	1990	100	25	25
1	1991	500	60	12
1	1992	0	0	.
1	1993	.	.       .
1	1994	600	300	50
2	1990	100	25	29
2	1991	500	60	13
2	1992	0	0	.
2	1993	.	.       .
2	1994	600	300	60
end

compress
list, noobs

bys id: gen newV3=/*
 */ sum(V3)/sum(V3!=.)

list, noobs
********

SERGIO MOISES AFCHA CHAVEZ

Thanks for your fast response, but I think I explain my question badly:

In your solution:

gen newV3=sum(V3)/sum(V3!=.)

Sum (V3) is a sum of all observations, I have a panel data, so, the Id
variable
continue with 2,3....3500 and I need the average variable for every
individual in my database. I think I could obtain this with:

by id: gen newV3=sum(V3[_n])

But, I don't know how continue with that, I need to divide this between
the
number of the years with valid observation, and I don't know how express
this
with STATA.