Re: AW: st: RE: wald tests with mfx

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: RE: wald tests with mfx
Date   Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:44:06 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 13/7/09, Rich Steinberg wrote:
> What I want is the vce of the marginal effects at the mean
> of various subsamples of the data.  I had thought, like
> you, that if two marginal effects are statistically
> different in the tobit evaluated at the mean of the full
> sample, the same would be true when evaluated for any
> subsample.  But when I run mfx on various subsamples,
> the Z scores of each coefficient are sensitive to the
> subsample.  More is going on than simply applying the
> McDonald and Moffitt decomposition to a different level of
> censorship when I run that mfx command.  Maybe that is
> a bug, but my more sophisticated friend thinks that mfx at a
> subsample mean is computing correctly and I am
> misunderstanding how to apply it to subsamples.  Thus
> my current query.
>
> Martin, and anyone else who is curious, here is the
> research problem that generated this strategy.  We are
> seeing whether the marginal propensity to make charitable
> donations differs with the source of income (or annuitized
> equivalent for wealth variables), among other things,
> testing the implicit assumption of economists that money is
> money and consumption behavior of individuals does not
> depend on where that money came from.  So for example,
> we want to know if the marginal propensity to give out of
> welfare transfer payments equals that out of earned income,
> annuitized inheritance income, etc.  A single tobit
> evaluation tells us whether the coefficients on these
> various income measures are equal around the mean of our
> full sample.  But there are no observations where the
> respondent received welfare income and had the mean level of
> other income sources, so the comparison at the mean has no
> clear interpretation of the sort we want.  In our base
> model, we therefore test for the equality of coefficients
> within each of 7 subsample means (defined by having positive
> levels of each of our 7 income variables).  (We hope to
> have more advanced estimates accounting for unmeasured
> heterogeneity that makes a person receiving welfare
> different from a person receiving an inheritance, but we are
> not there yet).  Maybe we should estimate the entire
> tobit separately for each subsample, but as some of the
> subsamples are small (particularly our main income source of
> interest, inheritances) we were hoping those regressions
> could be pooled because the slopes with respect to the
> latent dependent variable were not significantly different
> in the subsamples.

The marginal effect depends on where you evaluate it. More,
specifically it will become less when you evaluate at a point
closer to the cut-off point. So if you evaluate the marginal
effects of different groups at different means you will add a
source of variation in results between these groups that you
may not want, because now you are not comparing like with like.

I can think of two suggestions:
1) Maybe the overall median lies within the range of all
sub-groups. In that case you could avoid the entire problem by
estimating the marginal effects at this value.
2) You could compare the effects on the latent variable, as
these effects are linear, and thus not depend on where you
evaluate them.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis