Re: st: Survey variance estimates - large software differences

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Survey variance estimates - large software differences
Date   Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:52:12 -0400

==
Arnold,

Since you do not show the Stata -svyset- output, nor the Stata
estimation commands and output, nor the equivalent SAS commands and
output.  Please do so.  If there are so many variables as to make
scanning the output difficult, please run the commands with as few
variables as needed to demonstrate the issue. Best would be to use one
of the downloadable example data sets from the Stata survey manual.

-Steve

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Levinson,
Arnold<[email protected]> wrote:
> Survey analysis experts:
> I have data from a stratified two-stage school survey. The first stage sampled schools within strata, the second sampled classrooms within selected schools.
>
> When estimating variables of interest at the school level, I get hugely different variance estimates running Stata vs. SAS or SUDAAN. Stata's estimates are generally a lot smaller than SAS's or SUDAAN's, and the latter to are similar or identical to each other.
>
> My Stata svyset statement is:
>
> svyset skulid [pw=skulwt], strata(strat) fpc(fpc) || classid
>
> My SAS/SUDAAN design statements are the equivalent.

Steven Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477