RE: st: Testing IIA assumption with micombine mlogit command

From   Julie Trivitt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Testing IIA assumption with micombine mlogit command
Date   Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:12:37 -0500

Great idea, Richard.  Thanks!

I'll try it on each imputation and the full dataset and hope for consistent
results.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard Williams
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 2:46 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Testing IIA assumption with micombine mlogit command

At 03:07 PM 6/9/2009, Julie Trivitt wrote:
>I need to test the IIA assumption with a multinomial logit model.  I
>have used the mlogtest,all command, but get the following error message:
>
>Data has been altered since mlogit was estimated.
>
>I suspect it is since I had to use the ice command to impute missing
>data and the actual estimation command is micombine mlogit........
>
>Can anyone advise me on the best way to test the IIA assumption in this
case?

>Thanks in advance,

In cases like this, I wonder how horrible it would be to, say, test
the IIA assumption on each imputed data set separately.  Sure, the
numbers wouldn't be exactly right, but it is, after all, a diagnostic
test.  If you are lucky the data sets will all clearly pass the test
or all fail it.  If somebody knows how to do it exactly right, then
great, but barring that i don't think it would be too horrible to
improvise a bit.  There are a lot of things still being ironed out
with multiple imputation, so reasonable improvisations may be better
than doing nothing at all.

Of course, the mlogtest code (part of Long and Freese's spost
package) is there for everyone to see, so someone might be able to
adapt it for the multiple imputation situation.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam