Re: st: Re: recover the dimensions of a panel

Subject   Re: st: Re: recover the dimensions of a panel
Date   Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:09:35 -0400

But the N and T are not returned by -xtset-; also note that -xtset-
simply calls -tsset- and there is a lot of extraneous code.
The calculation the poster wants might look something like:

webuse grunfeld, clear
qui {
tempvar Ni Nt
loc i:char _dta[iis]
bys `i': g long `Ni'=_n==1
replace `Ni'=sum(`Ni')
loc N= `Ni'[_N]
loc t:char _dta[tis]
bys `t': g long `Nt'=_n==1
replace `Nt'=sum(`Nt')
loc T= `Nt'[_N]
}
di "`N' units over `T' periods"

or, more simply:

webuse grunfeld, clear
qui xtdescribe
di r(N), r(max)

but presumably different patterns of missing data can result in
matrices which are nowhere near NxT; try e.g.

webuse nlswork, clear
xtdescribe
xtreg wks_work age nev_mar, fe
xtdescribe if e(sample)