Re: st: Factor Analysis with ordinal and binary variables

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Factor Analysis with ordinal and binary variables
Date   Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:32:23 -0400

Stefan,
   Karl Joreskog and Dag Sorbom
analyzed the problem back in the 1980s and found
that you could use polyserial and polychoric correlations
for a factor analysis of dichotomous or ordinal variables.
If the ordinal variables have at least 15 levels they can
be treated as continuous.
    They have incorporated this finding in their program for
structural equation modeling.
    Regards,
       Bob Yaffee

Bengt Muthen may have also written
on this subject in the 1980s or early 1990s.

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor
Silver School of Social Work
New York University