Re: st: Re: Count occurrence and duration of states in panel data

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Count occurrence and duration of states in panel data
Date   Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:04:57 +0200

Thanks for the up front comment but I defined count before the forval command, otherwise the -forv- will not work.

Do you have any suggestions regarding my question (which I summarize below for convenience)? Can I use inrange for my problem, i.e with begin and end date? How to write it such that it works? Sorry, if this questions sound too easy for you but I try hard since days.

clear
input Id begin end state s2 res, auto
1 12 14 1 . 0
1 15 46 2 1 0
1 47 52 3 . 1
1 59 66 2 1 1
1 70 80 1 . 1
1 81 88 2 1 1
1 89 105 1 . 2
2 14 21 2 1 0
2 55 59 3 . 1
2 61 109 1 . 0
2 110 115 2 1 0
2 116 200 1 . 1
end

gen count = .

local N = _N
qui forval i = 1/`N' {
egen tag = tag(s2) ///
if Id == Id[`i'] & ///
inrange(begin, begin[`i'] - 30, end)
count if tag == 1
replace count = r(N) in `i'
drop tag
}
l, sepby(Id)

I want to know how often a person has been in a certain state (e.g. state
2) during the past 30 days before the current state. Important is that the
current state should not count.

 I have data in which the time intervals are not of equal length. And to
 keep things for the moment simple I defined a variable s2 which takes on
 the value 1 if the state of interest occurs. The variable res shows my
 desired results.

 The next step would be to calculate the duration the person has been in s2
 during the past 30 days. If there is a related solution I would be
 extremely happy if you let me know this as well.