Re: st: Create a new variable based on some other variables

Subject   Re: st: Create a new variable based on some other variables
Date   Thu, 21 May 2009 11:40:56 +0200

<>

I thought about this case as well. If Charles wants the values for "B" to accumulate, the solution is simply

***
gen B=(A1==1)*1+/*
*/(A2==3)*2+(A3==8)*3
***

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:34 AM
Subject: RE: st: Create a new variable based on some other variables

Thanks for the oblique compliment, but -cond()- is an official Stata
function. My only indirect contribution, some while ago, was to suggest
it being generalised so that it could also produce string results.

The article referred to by Martin Weiss at
http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0016
was first-authored by David Kantor.

However, there remains a problem with your specification. What happens
(e.g.) if a1 is 1 AND a3 is 8?

Charles Man@CCR

Thanks to Martin and Eric for showing me how to do this and introducing
Dr Cox's -cond()- to me. Thanks a lot.

From: "Eric A. Booth" <[email protected]>

gen b =.
 replace b=1 if a1==1