st: RE: cluster analysis for panel data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: cluster analysis for panel data
Date   Mon, 18 May 2009 18:17:23 +0100

What kind of clustering would you like? That depends on your definition of the individuals to be clustered. You could summarize panels in whatever way you like and cluster those summaries also in whatever way you like.
That's one pathway. But it would collapse the time series information in the panels.

But I don't think there's a definition of cluster analysis that is automatically obvious for panels and I don't think there's Stata software specifically designed for any such decision.

NB: Please don't send HTML to the list. This is explained in the FAQ.

claudio cruz

I have a panel dataset and I want to create different scenarios to evaluate the impact of X in Y using a dynamic model. So, for creating the different scenarios I want to create clusters based on x1, x2 and x3.

So far, I can't found any information if there is a specific cluster analysis for panel data.  Does anyone know what could I do?

I was thinking in one solution. I'm not sure of doing a pooled cluster since some firms may be in t-1 at Cluster_a and in t may be at Cluster_b, right?  I think it doesn't have any logic. Thus, I was thinking in collapsing the data by the mean of x1, x2 and x3 for each firm and then create the clusters. Is that correct?