Re: st: RE: RE: Strings and the greater than/less than operators

From   Gary Longton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Strings and the greater than/less than operators
Date   Wed, 13 May 2009 10:13:45 -0700

<>

Nick was referring to the string function -char()- (see -help string functions-)
which is unrelated to the -char- command.

- Gary

sdm1 wrote:

The only bit I don't understand is: "The order is that of -char()-".
It sounds to me as if char is user defined.  This is from the help for char:

 The dataset itself and each variable within the dataset have associated
with them a set of characteristics.
    Characteristics are named and referred to as varname[charname], where
varname is the name of a variable or _dta.
    The characteristics contain text.  Characteristics are stored with the
dataset in the Stata-format .dta dataset,
    so they are recalled whenever the dataset is loaded.

If characteristics for a variable are not defined by the user, what's the
default order?  Is there a list somewhere which will tell me the order in
which Stata sorts characters e.g. alphabetric, numeric, spaces, etc.  Or am
I misinterpreting here?