st: data management updating a panel dataset

From   "Volpi, Massimiliano" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: data management updating a panel dataset
Date   Tue, 12 May 2009 22:46:37 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I would like to update a panel dataset in Stata, for which a further year of observations has become available.
I would like to tell Stata to generate new observations and then edit them within Stata.
This would seem to me as a better option than listing the identifying variables, copying them as table, editing them in Excel and then appending the new to the old data base, which is the only alternative I see.
Any suggestion on how to do it? Or is there a reason for not doing so?
I am using Stata10.1

Many thanks

Massimiliano