st: Changing temporary file directory locations

From   Michael E Roettger <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Changing temporary file directory locations
Date   Mon, 11 May 2009 11:11:39 -0400

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for changing the location of temporary data files?  I have a restricted dataset A where I am legally contracted to store temp files in a certain drive [SAY, X1:\\], but am also using STATA for analyzing some large datasets where the temporary data files STATA processes are too large for X1:\\.  Hence, I'm curious if there's an easy way I could change the location of temporary files to a larger drive (SAY, X2:\\).  Ideally, this would be a set of commands I could place in a do file so that the temp files would go to X1:\\ when I am analyzing dataset A, and go to X2:\\ when I am analyzing dataset ~A.

Thank you for your time and help!

Best,

Mike Roettger
Postdoctoral Fellow
National Center for Marriage Research
Bowling Green State University

Address:                                                                                                Phone:  419-372-6320
108 Bromfield Hall                                                                                  Fax:      419-372-3179
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43402

The more laws and order are made prominent,
The more thieves and robbers there will be.
   - Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching