st: St: Ordered Logit Question

From   "Jason Dean, Mr" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: St: Ordered Logit Question
Date   Wed, 6 May 2009 19:15:37 -0400

I am running two ordered logits equations. One for immigrants and one for the native-born. Each has the exact same independent and dependent variables. There are 3 categories for the depedent variable. I find that the threshhold parameters are quite different for these two groups. Specifically, both cutpoints are much lower for immigrants. Can anyone enlighten me as to how I should interpret this? To me this means, all else equal, immigrants are much more likely to be in the highest category and much less likely to be in the lowest category. Can I just interpret this in a similar manor as if these two groups had different intercepts in a linear regression? Also, is it appropriate to compare marginal effects between immigrants and the native-born.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks