RE: st: RE: -mkspline- reference

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: -mkspline- reference
Date   Wed, 6 May 2009 09:50:45 +0100

Kieran's reference was entirely pertinent. -mkspline, cubic- calculates restricted cubic splines, as from Stata 10.

Jacob Wegelin

Thanks.  Actually, -mkspline- computes *linear* splines. For instance,
the following code:

. mkspline  Age1  44  Age2 = Age

. regress Y Age1 Age2

fits a continuous, piecewise linear model of E(Y|Age) for which the
slope is permitted to change abruptly at Age=44.

Thus I am looking for a reference that specifically explains what
algorithm and formulas are implemented in -mkspline-, and perhaps also
discusses uses of linear splines and gives examples where they are
used to good effect.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Kieran McCaul <[email protected]>

> Frank Harrell's book "Regression Modelling Strategies" has a chapter on
> restricted cubic splines.

Jacob Wegelin