st: RE: AW: turning numbers into dates

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: turning numbers into dates
Date   Sun, 3 May 2009 21:16:35 +0200

Wouldn't the following be much simpler for her?
replacing varnew by whatever her date variable is.

input varold
199804
199702
8705
7502
end

gen varnew = varold - (int(varold/10000)*10000)
gen year = 1900 + int(varnew/100)
gen month = varnew - (int(varnew/100)*100)
gen date = ym(year, month)
format %tm date

Or is there a problem with the above?

Eric de Souza